The IPL procedure, also commonly known as “FotoFacial ® ” uses both intense light energy and radio frequency in the same pulse. The general improvement in skin texture, tone and color are dramatically better than seen with other skin rejuvenation treatments using only light.
These procedures are truly an advancement in the non-surgical, non-invasive treatment of aged skin. The results can include smoother, clearer, healthier, more youthful looking skin that does not have the look of cosmetic surgery or laser surgery*.
- Acne Scars
- Broken Capillaries
- Fine Lines & Wrinkles
- Loose Skin
- Poor Skin texture
- Uneven Skin Tones
- Sun Spots
- Aging Hands
Which Areas Can Be Treated?
- IPL is most commonly performed on the face, neck, chest, hands and arms. It may also be performed on the back and other body parts as well.
How Does It Work?
The IPL treatment uses gentle pulses of light combined with low electrical energy to help improve the appearance of skin. Brown spots (pigmented imperfections) from sun damage and aging, red blotchiness from spider vessels or rosacea (vascular imperfections), and uneven skin texture can improve over a treatment series*.
What To Expect
- Application of a topical anesthetic is applied at Harmony Skin and Wellness Clinic one hour prior to your treatment time.
- Photo damaged skin with predominantly brown spots usually responds well to 3 treatment sessions performed 3 to 4 weeks apart. Rosacea, red vessels, and capillaries usually respond well to 4 to 5 treatment sessions performed 3 weeks apart.
- The total treatment time for IPL is approximately 45 minutes to 1 hour depending on the number of areas treated.
- Brown spots may darken and slough off over a 5 to 7-day process*.
- During your course of treatment, and for at least 3 months following your final procedure, you should be conscientious to use a sunscreen of SPF 30 or higher.
- You can continue to wear cosmetics during the time between treatments. We do recommend mineral based powder makeups.
Having a Microdermabrasion™ or HydraFacial MD® Procedure in between your IPL can increase the efficacy of your laser treatment as these procedures help to speed your cell turnover and help to slough the top-most layer of the epidermis allowing the light energy to penetrate more deeply.
When considering these procedures please be sure to schedule 4-6 weeks prior to any special event or extended travel plans.
Commonly Asked Questions
IPL involves using radiofrequency energy beams to selectively target blood vessels and pigment that is located underneath the surface of the skin. The wonderful thing about this technology is that it doesn’t touch any skin cells that are on top of the skin, on the outermost layer. This means that it causes the least amount of damage possible, all while removing or lightening sun spots, rosacea, brown spots and busted blood vessels.
IPL works by penetrating the layers of skin tissue below the surface. That means that all the skin cells on the top remain untouched. Most people despite good hygiene acquire blackheads, makeup, and dead cell build up. All of the debris on the surface of our skin can leave our skin looking dull and clogged despite the use of laser technology. A pre-treat Microderm or HydraFacialMD® is a step that removes dead skin, cleans the pores, and hydrates and preps the skin for the IPL treatment. At Harmony Skin and Wellness we like to create “wow” results for our clients and make recommendations that ensure the most optimal outcomes are achieved.
The amount of time your results will last depends on the amount of sun you expose your skin to. If you plan on spending a lot of time in the sun after your IPL treatment, especially without proper UV protection, you will see a return of discoloration that was removed by the procedure. We always recommend a continued regimen of using pigment correcting products, and always recommend a high quality sunscreen is applied daily. If skin is properly taken care of and protected the results can be long-lasting.
*Individual results will vary