KYBELLA® is a first-of-its-kind injectable treatment that improves the adult profile by destroying fat cells under the chin. Once thought of as a problem that could only be solved through surgical intervention, submental fullness, aka the “double chin” is treatable for the first time ever, through a non-invasive injectable treatment.
Fullness under the chin affects both men and women alike and can be caused by weight gain, genetics, and aging. Unfortunately most people find that no matter how much they diet and exercise their submental fullness does not go away on its own. As one of the first medical spa’s in Northern Colorado to bring in KYBELLA®, we have successfully treated countless clients who found significant improvement in their appearance from this treatment.
- Double Chin
Which Areas Can Be Treated?
- Underneath the chin area.
How Does It Work?
The active ingredient in KYBELLA® is a synthetic deoxycholic acid. Deoxycholic acid is a naturally occurring molecule in the body that aids in the breakdown and absorption of dietary fat. When injected into the fat beneath the chin, KYBELLA® destroys fat cells, which can result in a noticeable reduction in fullness under the chin. Once destroyed, these cells can no longer store or accumulate fat, so further treatment is not expected once you reach your desired aesthetic goal.*
What To Expect
- Before starting treatment, your Registered Nurse Injection Specialist will examine the area under and around your chin to determine if KYBELLA® is right for you. Then, your specialist will tailor your treatment to the amount of fat under the chin and your aesthetic goals.
- Treatment can only be administered by a KYBELLA® -trained healthcare specialist. At each treatment, you will receive multiple small injections under your chin, and the injection process takes about 15 to 20 minutes. The exact number of injections will depend on the amount of fat you have under your chin and your desired profile.*
- Since everyone’s chin profile is different, the number of treatments varies from patient to patient. Your Registered Nurse Injection Specialist will help determine how many treatment sessions you need based on the amount and distribution of your submental fat and your personal treatment goals. Depending on personal aesthetic goals, most people on average require 2-3 KYBELLA® treatment sessions.*
- After the KYBELLA® treatment, you will likely have some swelling, bruising, or numbness under your chin.* Be sure to inform your Registered Nurse Injection Specialist if you develop an uneven smile, facial muscle weakness, or difficulty swallowing.
- KYBELLA® can cause serious side effects, including nerve injury in the jaw (which can cause an uneven smile or facial muscle weakness), or trouble swallowing.
- The most common side effects of KYBELLA® include swelling, bruising, pain, numbness, redness, and areas of hardness in the treatment area.*
- These are not all of the possible side effects of KYBELLA®. Call your healthcare provider for medical advice about side effects.
When considering these procedures please be sure to schedule 4-6 weeks prior to any special event or extended travel plans.
Commonly Asked Questions
At Harmony Skin and Wellness Clinic we put the health and safety of our client’s first! Before bringing in a new service we employ our in-house medical experts to research new procedures, and when it comes to injectables we only bring in FDA approved and well studied products. For eight years KYBELLA® was in clinical trials in the United States, with over 1,000 patients receiving the treatment. The FDA approved the use of KYBELLA® injections to dissolve submental fat beneath the chin in mid-2015; after concluding it was both safe and effective for double chin elimination.
As with almost any injectable the treatment can be hard to detect. KYBELLA® does not require any downtime and most people feel comfortable returning to work immediately. During the recovery for KYBELLA® minor to moderate swelling occurs as the fat is being destructed and slowly absorbed into the body. The swelling is most severe after the first treatment and usually gets better each following treatment. We always recommend that KYBELLA® be used several months before a big event as the results take time to set in and the number of treatments varies from person to person.
At Harmony we do our best to ensure accurate expectations for our clients, and evaluate clients to make sure they are good candidates for all our procedures, prior to treatment. While almost anyone will benefit from KYBELLA® treatments, some clients have sagging skin that additionally requires Ultherapy for tightening, if the laxity is mild, or cosmetic surgery for tightening for those with moderate to severe skin laxity. Call Harmony Skin and Wellness Clinic today to schedule your free consultation to find out if KYBELLA® is right for you!
*Individual results will vary